Friday 30 May 2014

WOW..... I made a dress :)

Hello bloggers!

So... the idea behind this blog is to track my progress (or not) in the world of sewing, starting from the position of a complete beginner.
For my first project, I used Easy pattern with fabric sourced from cloth house in Indira market. It's very near to my office, so I imagine I will spend many a lunchtime ogling pretty prints.
In spite of such disasters as wonky darts, pin-shredded fingers and nearly sewing my armpits up, I loved it. And here it is, my first ever homemade dress!


Adding piping to your seams can add such a special touch. It's totally worth the extra bit of work as it can make your seams more prominent and beautiful. 


Piping comes in lots of different colors and is generally covered in a basic cotton fabric but it looks extra fancy when you create piping covered with self-fabric. Whether your pattern calls for it or not, you can add piping to seams if you want to spruce up the design a little.

I used it in my kurti because I wanted to add prominence to the seam-lines of the front placket. I broke up the monotony of the blue fabric by added a running piping in order to integrate the colours.

Here's a little tutorial to show you how to cover store bought piping with self-fabric-

Materials:

  • Store bought piping
  • Self-fabric
  • Scissors
  • thread
  • Regular zipper foot
  • Pins
1.    1. Cut a bias strip of self-fabric, long enough for the length of your piping. The width of the strip is determined by the piping diameter and the garment's seam allowance.



2. Place the piping onto the wrong side of the bias strip. Wrap the strip around the piping, matching raw edges and pin along the length of the strip.


3. In order to sew close to the piping, use a regular zipper foot with the needle set to the right side. Sew along the length of the strip.


4. Voila, you can now use it wherever you like!


I can't wait to get started on my next project!


3 comments: